(Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure)
Basic Steps of the LANAP® Protocol
Dr. Valentina Obradovic belongs to an elite group of dental professional certified to perform the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®). Only one percent of dentists in the country currently offer LANAP®, and Dr. Obradovic was one of the first laser certified dental professionals in the San Diego area.
Laser Gum Surgery in San Marcos: The Dental Procedure
If you are considering choosing LANAP® for your gum disease treatment, here is an overview of what you can expect during the procedure at the San Marcos dental office:
1. Measure Periodontal Pockets. Prior to the laser treatment, Dr. Obradovic will measure the periodontal pocket depth to determine the amount of attachment loss that has occurred.
2. Remove Bacteria. Next, Dr. Obradovic will destroy the infected tissue and eradicate the bacteria under the gum line using the pulsed laser light from the patented PerioLase® MVP-7™. The advanced laser technology allows Dr. Obradovic to remove the bacteria without disturbing healthy gum tissue. As a result, there is no cutting or suturing needed.
3. Remove Surface Tartar. Dr. Obradovic then uses ultrasonic scalers to remove root surface tartar and remaining calculus deposits under the gum line.
4. Laser Stimulation and Sealing. Dr. Obradovic will apply the PerioLase® MVP-7™ a second time in order to stimulate the bone, root, and soft tissue. The laser finishes cleaning the periodontal pockets and helps create a protective seal around them where healing can begin without new germs entering.
5. Bite Adjustment. Dr. Obradovic will examine your bite to confirm that no significant trauma was experienced during the laser gum surgery and make adjustments as needed.
Dr. Obradovic is a dentist in San Marcos who is certified to perform LANAP®. If you would like to learn more about LANAP®, please call the San Marcos dental office to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Obradovic.